If you know anything about geeks, we can spend hours vehemently arguing/discussing topics like this one. Or the merits & flaws of comic book TV/movie adaptations. Or speculate about which actor would make the best (insert random character to appear in next movie here). Or which character/story deserves a reboot. Or how "true" to the story any particular adaptation is to the original work.
But one of the most hotly contested topics (especially at Con after a few drinks) is that of the Movie Sequel. Really good sequels in any genre are hard enough to pull off (I say Godfather 2 makes the cut), but doing a follow-up to a really good comic book or sci fi movie seems to be a particular challenge. A lot of initial offerings suck so much or can't find enough of an audience that they aren't even considered for a sequel. But there are some really good ones, occasionally better than the first. Here are the ones that are on my Decent (or better) Sequel list:
- Empire Strikes Back (duh)
- Superman II (on TV tonight as a matter of fact, and the reason for this post)
- Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (Khannnnn!!!!)
- Evil Dead 2 (maybe a bit out of genre, but love it)
- Batman Returns
- The Dark Knight (2nd of Christopher Nolan's Batman movies)
- Spiderman 2
- Underworld: Evolution
- Terminator 2: Judgment Day (don't laugh - I liked it)
- Toy Story 2
- and the most recent release, Iron Man 2
I'm sure there are others. What am I forgetting? Add to comments.