Tuesday, May 4, 2010

New J.J. Abrams TV Show Picked Up for Fall Season


Is it time for the May upfronts already? Wow! I can hardly believe we're already wrapping up another TV season and getting prepped for next fall. I'm so thankful I upgraded to extended basic cable before summer.

Anyway, news came out this week that NBC is picking up a new J.J. Abrams' spy drama called "Undercovers." (See EW.com post here for more details.) I don't think I know the stars Boris Kodjoe or Gugu Mbatha-Raw, but that's probably for the best. If I didn't like the actors cast, I'm not above skipping a show on principle. The overall premise of the show is that the characters are married ex-CIA agents who get pulled back into the game and realize that "this supercharged, undercover lifestyle provides the excitement and romance that their marriage has been missing."

Not sure how you make an ongoing TV show out of a fairly simplistic story outline, but I've never written for TV so what do I know? I like J.J Abrams, loved "Alias" -- his last spy show starring Jennifer Garner -- and I'm currently loving "Fringe," so I will certainly give this a shot. In fact, it might make sense for NBC to put this on Monday's with Chuck, their other spy show. Now that Jay is out of the 10 PM slot, there are clearly some holes in the schedule to fill and my DVR will record any of them!

I do hope they plan to bring part of the pilot to San Diego in July! J.J. knows he has a huge geek following who will gladly trail him to his next project if he can win them over with something good and the sooner the better. There is a website, though not much on it yet: http://undercoversweb.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment