Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Celebrate Geek Pride Day - Return of the Geek

Or maybe this post should be called "Empire of the Geek" but this is the 3rd post and that would ruin continuity...

It's hard to believe, but 30 years ago was the release of the best of the Star Wars trilogy (imho) The Empire Strikes Back. I'm no critic (which should be fairly apparent based on the fact that I can find good in most every movie, even the bad ones) but Empire struck a chord with me. Maybe it was the fantastically cool scenery of the Ice Planet Hoth and the furry snow beast native to the planet, the Tauntaun.


Maybe it is the vision of ominous yet captivating AT-ATs marching across the icy tundra. They are still an iconic reference to me. Also I'd really love to ride on one. Can someone work on that? Thanks.


And while I favor the first part of the movie on Hoth (so desolate, so cold) there are so many other great moments in Empire.

The gang escapes the Empire (again). Meeting Yoda. And Cloud City, with of course, Lando. I mean, look at this guy. Does he not exude super hip administrator?

Finally, this is the movie that taught me a movie could end unresolved, without the "happily ever after" BS. And that it is ok, because there is another episode on the way (with Ewoks!). That even if you find out **SPOILER ALERT** Darth Vadar is your father and your best friend was just frozen into a carbonite block and sent to one of the Hutt's for debts owed, good guys do good, and will keep on fighting the good fight. Use the force, etc. etc.

Oh, yeah! And this is the same movie that introduced fandom to Boba Fett. If you do not know of the devotion and love of the Fetts, spend some time on the friendly interwebs. It will likely shock and amaze you.

Insert gratuitous Boba Fett picture here because he is so fu**ing cool!



I leave you with this quote from Han Solo, whom I've adored since I was 6 years old:

You like me because I’m a scoundrel. There aren’t enough scoundrels in your life.

So true Han, so true.

Happy Birthday, ESB.

No comments:

Post a Comment