Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Emma Stone as Gwen Stacy


So, I like Emma Stone and she's coming off a reasonably well marketed movie with Easy A, so I don't have anything too terrible to say about her being cast as Gwen Stacy in the Spider-Man reboot (reported here on Superhero Hype). Maybe it's just that, so far, I haven't heard any press releases about the new movie overall that have got me excited yet. It's going to be a real challenge to live up to Sam Raimi anything, as far as I'm concerned. Certainly not a lot of time has passed between the last Spidey and this new franchise, which makes comparisons obvious and awkward. And do we really have to tell the origin story all over again, just because it's a new cast and director? God, I hope not. Added bonus: it's going to be released in 3D, so there's that. I bet America will be sick to death of 3D by the time this movie releases (scheduled for July 3, 2012).

I want to be excited about the onslaught of comic book movies that are in production but there are quite a few I'm just not feeling. Over-hyped. Schlocky. Soft sounding scripts or simply re-dos of origin stories. AGAIN. I hope Spidey Redux (my name, since I haven't heard an official title) isn't one of them. We'll know more when the trailer is screened at Comic-Con next summer, which I'm sure is the plan.

PS - they say that Emma Stone is a natural blond, but in looking for an image of her, I only see her as a red head.

No comments:

Post a Comment