Thursday, October 21, 2010

Alternative Press Expo (APE) 2010

As you may, or may not, recall, I missed out on San Diego Comic-Con this year, for the first time in about 14 years. It was a big bummer. Even though I couldn't make it to SDCC, I was excited to hit up the Alternative Press Expo -- or APE -- last weekend in San Francisco.

APE is run by the same folks who put on WonderCon (also in SF) and San Diego Comic-Con. But it is really nothing like a "typical" comic book convention. This was my 7th or 8th APE Con, and over the years, I believe it has become my favorite event of the convention season. In addition to catching up with my geeky & creative friends, APE offers up a lot of interesting small/self-published comics, art/prints from a range of artists (many who are up-and-coming in the comic/animation/web world), and various other products that you can't find just anywhere.

I always leave APE so excited about the treasures I've collected over the day. This year was no exception. If anything I wish I had more time to explore the concourse floors, as the convention seemed to about double in size this year. The attendees are a really fun, mostly local crowd. My only complaint is that, while the Concourse is fairly convenient -- located right off the freeway and plenty of parking nearby -- there doesn't seem to be a great range of food options in close proximity. On the plus side, it's the only convention I've been to where you can drink on the floor. So, hooray for that!

Here are a few pics I took along the way.

Convention center floor just before opening:



Sparkly art by Charlene Kelley (my husband purchased one of these for his Marion collection):



My new owl print by Ashley Burke:



Plushie food, including a giant hamburger by Jakc Designs. PS - I'll do another entry on the Adventures of Slider (or "Bored at the Airport Part I") soon.



Felt octopus by Jackie Huang:



Beastlies by Leslie Levings:



No comments:

Post a Comment