Friday, April 30, 2010

Zatanna's Back Too!

Alright, now I'm in a roll...

In that same io9 gallery, I neglected to note the OTHER comic I'm excited to see. Also a female superhero(ish) character, but from the DC universe. I followed those characters much more closely back in the day, so I have a special place in my heart for...drum roll...ZATANNA!

Zatanna is getting her own ongoing series, which is kinda cool. I'm into supernatural stories right now, and I could see her as a Dresden-like, wizarding detective type. This genre is pretty big right now in fiction (see Laurell K. Hamilton, Kim Harrison, Charlaine Harris, Karen Chance, Jim Butcher, and so on), so I could see it translating well to graphic stories.

The one-line takeaway of the story is described as "a new ongoing about her foibles fighting supernatural crime in San Francisco." I especially love that it will be set in SF. It would've been cooler if it was in the NW, but I get it, SF has more cache.

Zatanna has a much longer history than Dazzler; she was first seen in Hawkman back in 1964 (wow, really? Weird). Over the years, Zatanna's shown up in a lot of the DCU storylines, with "special" relations to Batman and the Vertigo character, John Constantine (aka Hellblazer). And her incantations are spoken backwards, so get your mirror's ready!

So, now I have at least 2 reasons to get back into comics again! Hopefully there will be some cool Zatanna promo stuff at Con this year...One of my favorite costumes too, probably because she wears a top hat and fishnet. Hot.



1 comment:

  1. I love Zatanna. Before I moved in with Mike I had a huge poster of her above my bed. She's one of my faves from the DC universe. I'll have to hunt this one down now!

    ReplyDelete