Friday, April 30, 2010

Dazzler's Back!

I'll admit it, I'm a slacker. Some days I'm more motivated than others. And right now, work is dominating any part of motivation I might have. But I'm hoping as summer approaches, and we get closer to Comic-Con that I will be inspired by new geeky products/movies/tidbits/etc.

So in that vein, I present to you this amazing "tidbit" (I like that word -- it reminds me of "Timbit" the small doughnut holes from Canada's Tim Horton's. Yummm.)

A few weeks back, io9 posted a gallery of "25 Reasons to Get Excited about Comics this Spring." Most of the gallery focuses on upcoming superhero comic titles and their summer push. But there was one thing that really jumped out at me: Dazzler #1!!! What the hell?! And the description is even more intriguing:

A parental-advisory Dazzler one-shot in which she battles Dr. Doom (among other supervillains).

You had me at "parental advisory" which is close to a rated R in comics. Boo-ya.

In case you don't know Dazzler, or have somehow forgotten, Wikipedia reminds us that Dazzler was created WAY back in 1980 as part of the X-men universe, as part of a partnership between Marvel and Casablanca Records. Described as "a mutant with the ability to convert sound vibrations into light and energy beams" who "was originally commissioned as a disco singer, the character shifted to other musical genres, including rock and adult contemporary."

How could the kids not love a comic book character like Dazzler? If I'd known about Dazzler as a young girl, I would've been inspired -- a female superhero who's power originates through her singing and dancing? Fantastic!

I might need to go to my local Comic Book Guy and take a peek at this one...


No comments:

Post a Comment