Monday, January 25, 2010

Video On Demand - An Experiment

This post could also be titled "Why I shouldn't be left unsupervised with technology."

Alright, let me just say that I have a huge appreciation for technology. Heck, I was raised believing we would live in a Star Trek-like future with teleportation devices, communicators, non-invasive medical procedures and a holodeck. But, while I love technology, I can't say I'm totally proficient or comfortable using some forms. For instance, I still don't have a smartphone so I haven't downloaded an "app." I don't often use iTunes (though I have). And I've never bothered to download video. Until now.

I tried to find Chuck season 2 to stream online, but to no avail. Patience isn't one of my virtues, and I couldn't wait for either Netflix or ordering a DVD version. So, I'm giving Amazon's Video On Demand service a try. The set-up is easy enough; you have to download their Unbox which doesn't take long. It's almost too easy to purchase the target item using my already established 1-click checkout.

It might have been the safer/more conservative bet to buy 1-2 eps and see how it worked. But, I'm a sucker for a deal and I got a gift certificate for my birthday, so I said what the hell, let's buy the whole season. In HD. And download it to the DVR computer attached to the 42" TV.

It took forever to download one episode. Perhaps because I was also recording a live program. And using my laptop on wifi. I get it - I tax the system. But 45 minutes to download? Sigh.

And while the HD resolution is stunning (seriously, colors are gorgeous) and there aren't glitches like with streaming video, I can already see that the file sizes are too large to download all of them. This is where the "no duh" comes in, I suppose. "Of course you can't download 20+ HD files to your little DVR and have any room left! What were you thinking?" Lesson learned.

Technology-1; Kassie-0

No comments:

Post a Comment