Sunday, January 24, 2010

Chuck (Season 1)

First off, h/t to whomever recommended Chuck to me. I thought it was Katie & Johnnie, they won't claim it.

I'm late to the game on this one. Not a great way to try to prove my geek cred, I know, but I can only follow so many shows at once. So, now I'm catching up via Netflix & the WB website. I've watched the first 10 eps so far, and won't try to comment on each one. (If I can catch up in time to make notes about any of the current eps, maybe then I'll torture you with individual write-ups.)

Here's the series summary (courtesy of IMDB) so I don't have to tread that ground again (plus, they do a better job than I could):

When a twenty-something computer geek inadvertently downloads critical government secrets into his brain, CIA and NSA assign two agents to protect him and exploit such knowledge, turning his life upside down.

Overall, I like this show. The cast has a couple of familiar faces (Adam Baldwin of Firefly fame; Joshua Gomez who appeared in the short lived Invasion) but most seem to be newcomers - at least to my TV/movie watching world. The stories are fast-paced, if a little Alias-like. I like the use of popular music in the show; it's clear someone thought about the right song for the scene.

In shows like this, I feel like season 1 and sometimes 2 are often the best because they can explore one-off stories without getting into overly complex continuing sagas. I mean, if the show might get axed, is there really time to get into an ongoing plotline? But I can see the potential "will she/won't she?" story inherent in the romantic tension between Chuck and Sarah being one of those that drags the show down over time.

Since I'm still on season 1 and doing a great job of ignoring spoilers on what's to come, I'll remain optimistic and just enjoy the show.

(I don't know how to embed video clips yet, so here's a link in the meantime.)

http://www.thewb.com/shows/chuck/clip-this-is-the-part-where-we-hide/1229e112ca

No comments:

Post a Comment