Thursday, February 9, 2012

Welcome to 2012, Only One Month Late.

As they say, the road to hell is laid with good intentions.

Back in November, I had every intention of giving my little blog more regular attention, even if just small posts, but totally fell off the bandwagon. Well, I got pregnant last fall and have to say, didn't feel like being on a computer beyond working hours until just recently. Actually, I didn't feel like doing much beyond lying on the couch and watching Dr. Who all winter. Apparently the 2nd trimester is the "good" window and my energy is certainly better, so I'm trying to take advantage of it while I can. (I've been assured I'll be back to mid-afternoon naps in another month or so.)

During the 20 week ultrasound, we found out BabyO is a girl. I was absolutely certain it was a boy, so there go my powers of perception. Somehow, getting past that pregnancy mid-way point without complication made everything very "real." I'm not sure what other women go through, but everything felt kind of theoretical (or I was in denial) before that point. In the last 6 weeks, I've found myself laser-focused on critical issues like nursery colors and themes. Who has time to find a doula or schedule maternity classes when looking for the perfect glider and choosing a color scheme? Priorities, people.

Well, I'm happy to say, we've got our "theme!" (We've narrowed names down to 5-7, but again, priorities people.) I'm not sure if I've mentioned it before, but the Better Half works in aerospace and we are both big Sci Fi geeks, so naturally our nursery theme is: SPACE.

Baby Geek in development

Now, some people might think this is an unusual theme for a baby's room, let alone a baby girl's room, and to those people I say, Suck it. After spending more time than is reasonable looking at nursery ideas, I really got overwhelmed by many of the typical "girl" themes: lots of pink, lavender and white; fluffy pom poms; bunting (what is this??); birds/trees (actually, I like these, but kinda overdone based on a Google Image search); butterflies/ladybugs; and princessy decor.

Maybe a little much?

These are all fine in general, but I'm just not a girly girl. And I'm sure as soon as BabyO can make her own preferences known, we'll be inundated with Barbies, Disney princesses, etc. That's fine, but I just can't start there.

So, space it is! It's a bit of a challenge because a) not a lot of mass-produced space-themed baby stuff out there, and b) if it exists, it is very "boyish." Over the next few weeks/months, I hope to share some of the cool stuff I've found or made for BabyO's Space Room (TM). Given my personality (read: a little obsessive), it will be all I can do to limit myself to a few key pieces, even though my inclination is to get everything cool I can find.

My first project for BabyO's room is this wall plaque with the Star Trek: The Next Generation intro. It also includes glow-in-the-dark paint on the stars, sun, planet, and key text.


The second project is this little rocket. Technically I think it's a birdhouse, but I think we'll put a little alien friend peeking out instead.


More to come soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment