Tuesday, July 31, 2012

New Geekling = Limited Blogging Time

Wow, so yeah, having a new geekling really rocks your world. I knew it would, but couldn't have imagined just how much! Add in a move back to California, and you have total chaos. But 11 weeks later, we're starting to get into a bit of a groove, and I've found myself missing this little corner of the interwebs.

While we aren't making it to all the big summer blockbusters right now, I did catch "The Avengers" before Baby O's arrival. What a fun way to kick off the summer! Joss Whedon really delivered a big super hero tale that appeared to do justice to the larger-than-life team. I'm not a big Avengers comic book fan, but I liked how the characters come together in this movie, especially Hulk. Didn't really love the two Hulk movies, but Mark Ruffalo finally got it right. The one character I didn't really understand was Hawkeye; I didn't mind him being part of the team, but it didn't seem like his superpower quite compared to the rest of the team. This is what I get for not being much of a Marvel reader, I suppose.


Mostly, it was great to catch one of the big geek movies of summer, since we missed Spiderman, Batman, MiB, etc. Say what you will, but thank God for Netflix/Amazon Instant/iTunes.

Speaking of Netflix, one thing you do have with a new baby (besides diapers and crying) is time at home. And with a summer baby, you also get very little new TV to watch. So, Netflix it is! In the first 4 weeks of Baby O's life, we watched the first 4 seasons of "Breaking Bad." The Better Half is a HUGE fan of the show, and has been nagging me to watch it for months, especially before Season 5's premiere. I don't typically like intense dramas because the heavy nature of the story can bum me out and stay with me for days/weeks (see: Six Feet Under, The Sopranos), but I really do like Breaking Bad. Well-crafted storylines, great character development, and some amazing direction and cinematography. Bryan Cranston is role-of-a-lifetime fantastic.


And Bob Odenkirk's "Saul" is one of my new favorite TV characters. I read a recent interview with show creator Vince Gilligan (which I can't seem to find again, or I would link to here...sigh) that there could be a Saul spin-off, to which I say, "Bring it!!"


Season 5 just started, and I look forward to how the final season unfolds. I can hardly believe Walt's transformation over 1 year's time. Whew.

Alright, at least I've started to catch up here. Just realized I didn't get to Game of Thrones (S2), podcasts, SD Comic Con, and all the awesome web TV happening (Geek & Sundry and Nerdist Channel programming!), so more to come soon! Plus, I'll have new eyes for things for the geeklings since I have a n00b of my own now. I feel like it's my duty to raise the next generation of geek, and can't wait to show her so much! Is 11 weeks too early for Star Wars or Star Trek??


(One of my favorite shower gifts was the Star Trek Book of Opposites. Awesome. Totally awesome.)

No comments:

Post a Comment